Saturday, 29 March 2014

“No one dares to invent condom for his pen and his free soul”…

Salute to Khushwant Singh…
By Kiran Deep
While passing through the different phases of life,
Humour, sex with difference and writing with simplicity as never before,
Man in his own style did not care about anything,
Man who dare to prove why you care what other people think about you,
Just one year short of century, he left physical world today,
But his soul will continue to remind us so many things,
With classic “Train to Pakistan” and his writing on Sikhism and culture,
Legend in his own style with founder-editor of Yojana, editor of the Illustrated Weekly of India, the National Herald and The Hindustan Times,
Columnist for many papers and magazines,
…and was also an MP,
The first thing I can recall about him is on the editor’s page Mario drew a blub and Khushwant Sat in it, along with his scotch and dirty pictures,
Man who even found of writing about sex in obituaries also,
I also can not stop myself sharing his boldness in one of his interview to Vinod Mehta for Outllook with title 'Sex On Their Brains' on April 21, 2009… Vinod Mehta said while in “ Debonair had a thing called 'centrefold'. I used to consult Khushwant quite often on that matter. And so our friendship has grown since 1974. It had a few hiccups. I wrote a book on Bombay called Bombay - A Private View and Khushwant had a full chapter in that book. When I met Khushwant for an interview, I asked him, "What did you do in England when you were there for so many years? He replied: "Fucking, cheese and wine..." I have known him since then and it's been a pleasure”.
EOM

No comments:

Post a Comment